Looking for reasons to explore Ongoye Forest? Here are five
Schools out! But instead of the kids watching Natgeo Wild the entire holiday, take them out on a real forest adventure!
Ongoye Forest Reserve – situated between Mtunzini, eShowe and Empangeni – falls under the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife’s jurisdiction.
Looking for reasons to explore Ongoye Forest? Here are five:
- You don’t have to be Tarzan to explore the forest; there are experienced tour guides that can show you around.
- This 4 000ha reserve is home to hundreds of different bird species.
- Pack a picnic basket and find a perfect spot to relax and take in the natural beauty (remember to clean up afterwards).
- You’ll love it more than the kids (and they won’t even know it).
- There are some great hiking trails if the kids are not interested in birding, which offer breath-taking views of the Bay area.
If you’re thinking of staying over for the weekend, the Ongoye Forest birders camp offers comfortable and affordable accommodation.
The camp has only one unit with three bedrooms. There’s a braai area perfect for camp side stories with the kids.
Roast some marshmallows and let them enjoy the basic simplicities of life.
R150 per person per night
(Minimum charge R450)
Children under 5 years stay for free
Maximum 6 people per group (in 3 twin/double bedrooms)